The Seaside Heights borough council voted this week to formally adopt the redevelopment plan for the property at 229 Franklin Avenue, which was endorsed by the planning board, clearing the way for the demolition of an unsightly pair of buildings that have been under borough ownership for nearly a year.
The oddly-developed property contains both a single-family home and a multifamily motel-like building in decrepit condition. Tenants had been living in the deteriorating property, which was considered a safety hazard and often was the source of a large number of calls for police activity. The borough purchased the property last fall for $1.1 million utilizing state grant funding with the intent of redeveloping the plot.
Borough Administrator Christopher Vaz this week said the planning board adopted a plan that would provide for the demolition of the single-family home and multifamily “motel” style building in favor of three townhomes. The borough first began to seek prices for the demolition of the property in the spring, however demolition was delayed after the council decided on a more formal bidding process given the proposed prices for the work.
“This sets up, on the property once it’s demo’d, the three-unit townhome community,” Vaz said. “We’re accepting bids for the demolition now, and we’ve extended it by a week.”
The two buildings had long plagued borough officials as well as law enforcement.
“Within the past two years the units at the subject property have been without approved certificates of occupancy while renters were present,” a report from an engineering firm handling the redevelopment designation stated. “The buildings have also lacked basic fire safety equipment, which is especially significant given the ongoing reports of fire damage to furniture, appliances, and walls. Some units have also lacked access to essential services, including a functioning stove, and hot water furnace. These conditions and other maintenance issues have persisted at the property, despite action taken by the borough’s code enforcement office.”
Bids for the demolition of the property are being accepted through July 18 at 2 p.m., according to an announcement from the borough.