Connect with us


Seaside Heights, Seaside Park to Co-Purchase Street Sweeper

An Elgin Eagle street sweeper vehicle. (Credit: Joe Johnson Equipment)

An Elgin Eagle street sweeper vehicle. (Credit: Joe Johnson Equipment)

For years, residents in island communities have requested street sweepers to clear municipal roadways after sand blows in or debris collects following storms – as well as for generally better aesthetics.

In an agreement approved unanimously by the governing bodies of both Seaside Heights and Seaside Park this week, the two towns will receive a significant state grant to share ownership of a street sweeper that will be utilized by both.

The final cost of the vehicle has not yet been determined, however the state has committed to fund 75 percent of the purchase price of the street sweeper. The two towns will split the cost of the remaining 25 percent, paying 12.5 percent each. Seaside Park Borough Administrator Karen Kroon said the estimated cost of a street sweeper is about $400,000, meaning each town would pay about $48,000.

Get Daily Island News Updates
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

Neither town currently owns a street sweeper, though the county occasionally sweeps some of the roadways under its jurisdiction, and the state is responsible for maintaining Route 35.

Click to comment