New Jersey transportation officials announced a list of approved roadway improvement projects on Tuesday, with the funding being provided for the next calendar year.
Several island roads are included in the list and will be repaved (from north to south):
- Point Pleasant Beach: Improvements to Central Avenue, $218,000.
- Bay Head: Reconstruction of Bayberry Ln, Egbert St and half of Club Dr, $130,000.
- Lavallette: New York Avenue road repaving, $225,000.
- Seaside Heights: Carteret Avenue and Hancock Avenue Road improvements/repaving, $375,000.
- Seaside Park: Reconstruction of H Street, $282,000.
The funding is part of municipal aid packages in the amount of $161.25 million for fiscal year 2020 announced Tuesday.
Under a revamped Municipal Aid grant program introduced by the administration of Gov. Phil Murphy, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles. Municipalities compete for portions of their county’s share. The NJDOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project. Of the $161.25 million, there is $10 million allotted for municipalities qualifying for urban aid under state law (none of the Ocean County projects qualify for this measure), with the amounts determined by the Department of Community Affairs.